April 09, 2010

Tunisian Crochet Swatches

I taught myself Tunisian Crochet yesterday! Again! hehe
I haven't tried it in a few yrs, and had only learned the Tunisian simple stitch at the time. I had tried the Tunisian knit stitch next, and just couldn't get it right! So I gave up, and put it aside because it wouldn't allow me to perfect it. :-)

I got it right this time though, along with a few others. :-)




The top left is the Tunisian knit stitch, top right is T. extended stitch, middle left is the T. double stitch, middle right is T. simple stitch, bottom left is just labled as #39 in my book, and bottom right is T. mesh stitch.
I hope I did the mesh one right, it doesn't look very meshy. hehe

My faves are the knit stitch which is extremely dense, the simple stitch which just looks cool, and mystery stitch #39 because it's pretty. :-)
I like the double stitch as well because it makes the item I'm crocheting grow faster, but it's not the prettiest stitch.

I can't believe I swatched!! All these years I've crocheted and I've only swatched once because I was paid to. lol
I've avoided swatching like the plague because I hate wasting time on something that won't evolve into a finished project.

I used a book called 101 Easy Tunisian Stitches, and judging from the name, I'm sure I'll be making quite a few more swatches. :-) I'll just make the ones I'd like to use in a project though.

Since Spring is finally here, I've paused hat making a bit so I can work on some hair/dread bands and tubes. I'm planning on making some bands using Tunisian crochet, so hopefully it all goes well.

Now back to swatching. Later peeps! :-)



-- Post From My iPhone

Location:Edinburgh

6 comments:

Crochet Diva said...

I love Tunisian crochet, but I have to periodically reteach myself, as well. :-)

Zu said...

lol Tunisian stitches don't seem to be the type of directions that stick in your head. :-)

Lesalicious said...

Hi havent been around in a bit and wanted to drop by and say HI and see what everyone is up to. See you still doing your crocheting you do lovely work. Great job.

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

I must have a look out for that book. I got a set of those tunisian hooks that I can attach to a cord as I was having trouble wielding the longer hooks.
To be fair I haven't had time to practise yet. I tried one piece and my tension was really loose so I guess that I need more practise. I am green with envy at your swatches.
Wish that you lived nearer then I could have tunisian lessons!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited you are working on your Tunisian skills. I love doing Tunisian crocheting. I agree that they aren't the stitches that just stay in your head. Maybe after we do a few more projects with them they will stick like our regular crochet stitches.

Happy crocheting!

Zu said...

Nice to see you Lesa! :-) Thanks so much.

lol Never know, maybe one day I will Jan.:-)

I sure hope so Bev. I'll make sure I keep practicing. :-)